I know, I know. It’s so fun to buy new toys (or really, anything) for babies and children. But here’s the thing. At least, for babies – totally unnecessary. I’ve discovered many freebies that have become some of Baby Zog’s very favorite things to entertain himself with. So, here you go:
1. Empty milk jug. Simply rinse out once emptied, and allow baby to play. The handle is perfect for grasping and it makes for an excellent drum.
2. Empty water bottles. They make crinkly noises when squished. Nuff said. But also, Baby Zog ADORES drinking out of water bottles. So, he likes to practice with his empty one.
3. Catalogs that come in the mail. Or really, any mail you don’t care about. Baby Zog loves to rip paper. Personally, I prefer he not do this to my books. So, after reading my fashion magazines or any random catalogs I don’t care about, they become Baby Zog’s. And then he does his own study of fashion, shopping, etc.
4. Measuring spoons and cups. A little quieter than letting your little one play with your pots and pans (although this is also useful). It’s something you already have in your home and is probably fairly indestructible.
5. Remote control. I don’t know about your baby, but mine LOVES all things electronics. We have an extra remote control, so we removed the batteries and that became Baby Zog’s domain. He love pushing the buttons and thinking that he is controlling the TV. (Unfortunately for us, he recently figured out which button on the TV actually does control the power. This occurred during the Saturday afternoon session of LDS conference. It was just a leeetle hard to concentrate.)
I hope that helps. Those are a few of Baby Zog’s favorite things.